Wednesday 3 December 2008

With a bow on top!

Saturday, Rosie and I embarked upon a great trek to deep south east London for our first hat making class. It was such a journey. A bus to the train to another bus and then a 10 minute walk. It was also freezing outside and very early. The was sort of a bonus for the morning journey. It took a lot less time to get there than it did to get home.

The journey is however the only thing I can really moan about though. The day was amazing! I was the first one there. Eager beaver! But by 10 there were 6 of us. 3 beginners and 3 more experienced students. As beginners we worked on the obligatory fascinator.

We each got a wooden head which we covered in plastic wrap. We picked out which color sinamay we wanted to use and we were off. I used black, Rosie went for purple and Loretta used silver. We made the base first which took us a few hours. We blocked out the sinamay and sewed on the wire and edging. I didn't want a tear drop shaped base. They just remind me of 80s weddings, so I made a circular one. All the while there was Albanian music pumping from the floor below.


After we finished the base of the fascinator we went on to the trimming. There were three ideas on offer for decoration, leaves, rolls or a bow. I (obviously) went with the bow, Rosie decided on the feathers and Loretta the rolls.

Check it out.





I'm so pleased with my creation and inspired to make more that I'll definitely be going back, to make a felt fedora!
There wasn't enough time for me to get a photo of my finished piece with the feathers on but, I'm djing this weekend and I'm thinking about wearing it. So stay tuned for that photo.

4 comments:

mary jane said...

Lordy do you get out and about crafting cool stuff all over the place. Oh to be you!

kerstin said...

Gorgeous! How much did it cost?

Holly Hall said...

Very impressive! Looks like so much fun.

Pony and Foxy said...

The hat course is £40 for a day!